Friday, July 3, 2009

The World Needs More Trigs...Not Fewer

I just listened to Sarah Palin explain her reasoning for stepping down from Governor of Alaska. I am confident there are many reasons she has made this decision...but was saddened to hear her explain how her older children have had a hard time dealing with how her littlest son Trig, who has Down syndrome, has been "mocked and ridiculed by some pretty mean-spirited adults recently". Why are people like this?...Just so mean...it just cuts at my heart that people can be so insensitive and ignorant? She then emotionally stated that the world actually needs more Trigs...not fewer. I Whole Heartedly Agree! Are the ones who have a child or family member with Down syndrome the only ones to see this? I guarantee that the ones who are saying the cruel things have never taken the opportunity to sit with or gotten to know someone with an extra chromosome. If they had they would know what we know. My little Reid has helped me view the world differently and given me eyes to see beauty where I did not necessarily recognize it before. He has expanded my heart and made me a better person, truly he has. Reid's pure spirit brings so much joy, he is so happy, and just so darn funny. In fact, right before we watched Sarah's press release Reid was showing off by dancing around the house with a twinkle in his eye because he knew he was being funny... and was thoroughly enjoying making us laugh with his little moves (what a little charmer we have on our hands). Sarah, I agree with you....though not everyone can comprehend this...at least not yet, we do need more Trigs.
Photobucket

7 comments:

Denise said...

Well said Cheri....I didn't see the press conference but I saw a written blurb about it...so sad!! You are absolutely right...no one who has spent any real time with these kiddos could ever not want one!!

Heather said...

When Sol Merie passed away,I called her dad.One of the things he said to me,that will stick with me forever will be ..."People think that children like Zoey and Sol Merie need us but it is us that need them."I will never, ever forget his words and so wish this world would see this with their own eyes and more importantly their hearts.

Kisses For Noah said...

Cheri, unfortunately, insensitivity and ridicule seems to be part of a special needs mom's world. The key to people understanding our little ones is education. We are the best advocates and spokespersons for our children.
Reid is an amazing little guy. He is full of life and his smile melts my heart! I'm always here if you ever want to chat :)

Kele said...

I couldn't of said it better Cheri!
I shake my head at such ignorance, that is all it is, true and absoute ignorance, they just aren't lucky enough to know!

P.S. You gotta get the little man's dance moves on tape and share them with us, waht a treat that would be!!

Heidi said...

What a great post! I completely agree that the world needs more Trigs!

I never would have thought Joel would bring so much joy into our lives but he has! I think if more people spent time with people with Ds their perceptions would most definitely change.

Nan P. said...

All I can do is add my agreement that "these" kids - and I hate this generalisation, but it's so true! - do change our lives. My life will never be the same, Cathal has forced me to look at myself, dig deep, wipe away any prejudice I may have had, and open up to a world that was so unknown to me. And for this I thank this little grandchild of mine. ;-) I am so grateful to know and love him.

Monica Crumley said...

Amen! I totally agree with you. I wonder if Americans would be so awful if the president had a child with Ds. Not sure why they despise Sarah Palin so much, but I'm looking forward to watching Trig help change hearts and minds as he grows.