Monday, November 5, 2012

Reid's Vote for President...

Reid and his friends will vote someday... not just as a privilege but as a right
 
About 16 years from now... on the eve of the election of 2028 I fully anticipate sitting in our living room having a good discussion with Reid about the candidates before us and the policies and laws he will have a hand in casting a vote for. It will be his first of many elections he will be able to take part in. There isn't any reason why he will not be able to vote, or any reason he will not be able to understand the principles and agenda each candidate stands for. I also anticipate proudly driving him to the voting booth if he isn't able to drive himself... and standing outside waiting for him extremely proud of him. I anticipate Reid getting a kick out of this experience and being fully passionate about whoever his candidate of choice is...

But for now.... my smarty pants is only 5 and on the eve of this election 2012 he tells me he is the best candidacy choice and that if he was elected president he would... well, play with his buddy Daniel A.!


 
Unfortunately tomorrow there are going to be some friends with intellectual disabilities that may be given a hard time when they show up to vote... I hope not, but if they do I hope they are armed with the information below:
 
.................................
 
You do have the right to vote! If you are a person with a mental disability and understand what it means to vote, federal law protects your right to vote. The laws that protect that right: The Constitution and the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. § 12132; Doe v. Rowe, 156 F.Supp.2d 35 (D.Me.2001).

You have the right to get help from a person you choose. If you can’t read or need help voting because of your disability, you can have someone help you vote. You can bring a friend, family member or someone else you trust to help you. You can ask the poll worker to help you if you didn’t bring anyone with you. The law that gives you that right: The Voting Rights Act, 42 U.S.C. §§1973aa-6; The Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. § 12132 

If you have a problem, you can get help by calling 1-866-OUR-VOTE Lawyers are available to give voters with disabilities and other voters advice and help with voting problems, so call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683). The law says everyone gets to cast a ballot, so don’t leave without voting!

Even if someone says you cannot vote, the law says the poll worker must allow you to vote a special ballot called a Provisional Ballot. Later, an election worker will decide whether you are allowed to vote in the election. If you are, your vote will be counted. The law that gives you that right: The Help America Vote Act, 42 U.S.C. § 15482

For more information about the rights of voters with disabilities visit http://www.ndrn.org/
Photobucket

8 comments:

Heather said...

I personally like Reid's idea best. Maybe we all should learn to play nicer. the world would be aa better place for sure.

Glad that you are back. Great post. Of course, my little love will not fall in this category. The voting one day category but we will stand shoulder to shoulder with all her buddies, making sure they receive the same rights and privileges as everyone else.

Becca said...

Wow, glad to see a new post!! :-) Excellent post, and a subject I was thinking about this morning as Samantha stood in line for nearly an hour with me so I could vote. She doesn't understand what Vote means, but she knew how important it was. I also expect her to be voting in that election.

j*e*n said...

Thanks so much for posting this! Ainsley is 13 years away from being able to vote, but I didn't know which laws were there to make sure that her voice is heard. Thanks for sharing!

Cheri said...

I know Becca... 2 in 2 days, the stars are aligning!! lol

Unknown said...

Cheri-
I stumbled across your blog some time back when I googled Down Syndrome & Target ads (our boy was in his first Target ad last Memorial Day and made his latest appearance in the Target toy catalog that just came out). I read through several of your older posts, and it mirrored our journey (right down to the Welcome to Holland poem, which we had on Beau's birth announcement). Beau turned 3 in June (hard to believe), and now has identical twin brothers who are 18 months.
It's funny how we can draw strength from others going down a similar path. So please keep writing, knowing there are others like myself who typically remain anonymous, but are following nonetheless. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us!!

Steve Exsted

PS Your boys are adorable...looking at all of your pics kinda gives me a flash-forward about 3-4 years! Can't wait until they're out playing ball with daddy!!!

PPS Love the Miraflex frames...started carrying those in my practice last year (perfect for the little ones)

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheri said...

Steve.... thank you so much for leaving a comment! ...AND I can completely picture who your son is...IN FACT I had a mom at my son's school seek me out after class WITH that catalog you are talking about in her hand and point to your son to ask if it was a picture of Reid from when he was a little younger!! ;) and I said, "Nope... that's another cutie patootie with Down syndrome!" ...and now I know who that cutie patootie belongs to! Yay Target.... so glad they are consistently casting children with special needs, makes my allegiance to them all that much more strong!

You made my day! :)

Unknown said...

Cheri-
That's a very funny coincidence with the catalog. I'm hoping other stores follow Target's lead with the special needs children (we are devoted Target shoppers...even though I'm an independent contractor who works at Wal-Mart!!). I proudly display the Target ad in my office...nobody at WM has complained yet! :)
I'm hoping to start a bidding war for his services!

Steve